суббота, 4 июля 2015 г.

Debugging become boring

I made new feature about complex composition. But when trying to display where it will be placed I hit the wall of misunderstanding.


My programer skills provides me with this basic formula for calculation of highlight position.



But when I trying to use it in game I have unpredictable results:

1x2:


After some analysis I come to idea, that I need to solve it on paper before. Fixing from this point must be obvious.

Trying to debug so hard I lose fun and patience. Game must be played when developed. Testing is main developer tool.

But this bug is very annoying. Two weeks of work and it become clearer, that I does not understand Unity internals. Basic math code does not work.

This is hard part of gamedev. And now harder to resist go to another fun part of game to push it to completion.